Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Assistant Director, Advancement Marketing will report up to the Marketing Director, providing key brand-project assistance and support inside of the marketing team for Advancement. This is a 12-month position that begins in June 2018 and ends in June 2019. The Assistant Director will participate in the planning of university marketing initiatives and assist in the communication/training of various brand initiatives among campus and Division communicators. This position will help create engaging, concept-driven materials and campaigns that support, communicate, and advocate the key priorities of the University's marketing efforts.
Working in a highly collaborative, creative marketing and communications environment, the Assistant Director, Advancement Marketing serves as a project and content assistant to the director on high-profile marketing initiatives and campaigns. Responsible for providing support in areas of reporting, scheduling, and project management tasks, ensuring the highest-quality end products and adherence to critical deadlines. The Assistant Director will also have a key role in developing brand compliance projects/manuals and training.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training and experience in marketing, advertising, communications or Master’s degree.
- Experience and proficiency in development of communications research, market research, public opinion research, or similar programs.
- Understanding of the principles of strategic marketing communications and advertising, the role of marketing and advertising in the overall communications plan, and advertising creative development and media buying.
- Strong organizational, public speaking, writing, editing, marketing planning, and web marketing skills.
- Computer skills and experience with presentation software, computer database, and word processing systems.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to work with diverse audiences (students, faculty, staff, alumni, news media, and staff colleagues) and supervise employees and/or interns.
- Master’s degree in Marketing, English, Communication, Journalism, Business, or related field.
- Experience in direct responsibility for marketing-related activities that include but are not limited to presentations, writing, social media content/SEM content, event planning and Google Analytics experience.
- Experience in higher education marketing.
- Email marketing experience.
- Experience in higher education market research.
- Experience in Word Press or similar website content management software.
- Experience in Google Analytics or other web measurement software.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Restricted
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Virginia Tech takes a hands-on, engaging approach to education, preparing scholars to be leaders in their fields and communities. As the commonwealth's most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech offers 240 undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 31,000 students and manages a research portfolio of more than $513 million. The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).