Union Level: Department: President Campus: Stockton Posting Number: 201301406P Full or Part Time: Full Time Number of Months: 12 Work Schedule: Occasionally requires work during non-standard business hours. Requires occasional travel off campus. Position End Date: Open Date: 06/29/2018 Close Date: Open Until Filled: Yes Special Instructions:
Primary Purpose: Reporting to the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications, the Senior Creative Director provides the creative strategy and leadership for University of the Pacific's brand. Leading both the internal creative team of designers and photographers across the university's three campuses—as well as external agencies—the creative director establishes the design direction that brings to life Pacific's mission, vision and values in a way that resonates with audiences and moves them to action. In close coordination with the university's executive leadership and in collaboration with the Senior Director of Marketing and Branding, the creative director is responsible for developing and leading the visual representation of Pacific's brand identity and leveraging its brand voice in digital and print executions for all university campaigns, schools and programs, alumni and donor relations, signature events and other initiatives. The creative director collaborates with other members of the university's and department's leadership team to ensure an integrated approach across all campuses, channels and segments. The creative director sets project management and workflow processes for the marketing communications team to achieve quality, efficient and effective communication and collaboration. The creative director mentors and coaches the creative team (graphic designers and photographer) to support them in growing professionally and to enhance brand storytelling.
Essential Functions: 1. Leads, designs and oversees a university-wide creative strategy and execution and serves as the lead for all creative initiatives; helps integrate activities and campaigns across all campuses and all audience touchpoints.
2. Leads development and refresh of a university-wide visual identity system and guidelines, and champions their adoption and ongoing usage on all campuses.
3. Approaches each stakeholder as a valued customer to promote effective, quality, service-oriented exchanges with both internal and external partners; acts as a positive, proactive and productive leader while building strong, trusting relationships throughout the university and fostering an appreciation for strategic ideas and creative executions.
4. Helps build a culture of strategic thinking and thoughtful inquiry, making decisions based on actual insights and data.
5. Values diversity and inclusion in day-to-day interactions and in creative decision-making.
6. Coordinates closely with marketing and communications leadership team to support ongoing integration of overall strategy, messaging and brand experience.
7. Collaborates with senior leaders and other leaders and teams throughout the university to continually drive and refine how Pacific communicates its brand mission, personality and perspective to audiences and stakeholders.
8. Listens, questions, prioritizes and translates business needs and marketing goals into strategic deliverables, from conception through production.
9. Oversees the cross-functional leads to estimate, create, manage, track and drive deadlines for projects.
10. Leads and manages a creative team that operates efficiently and effectively while continuously innovating to deliver high-quality, on-target, on-time and on-brand results.
11. Builds and leads a high-performance team; hires and retains high-caliber talent in clearly defined roles; sets goals, delegates work, holds direct reports accountable; develops and empowers direct reports to make decisions and take action.
12. Demonstrates a deep understanding of digital and print design, photography, videography and new media, as well as how best to approach delivering integrated visual stories across distinct platforms.
13. Handles multiple assignments well, maintaining a positive attitude under pressure.
14. Proactively discovers areas of improvement and recommends thoughtful solutions to executive leadership.
15. Engages in professional networking opportunities outside of the university to evangelize the brand story and to learn new ideas and strategies.
16. Stays abreast of industry news and best practices to maintain a deep understanding of the current visual communications landscape and emerging trends.
17. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, visual communications, marketing or related field; 10 years of creative experience with five or more years of leadership experience managing full-time employees in a creative director or similar role.
Ability to plan and strategize at a senior level and operate with a high level of awareness of creative processes and techniques, including those related to digital and social media platforms.
Ability to work alongside senior leadership to set brand direction, to persuade and influence brand-based decisions and to serve as key brand champion in the university.
Experience and ability to work in a multi-campus setting and collaborate with senior leaders to coalesce viewpoints and lead a unified branding direction.
Outstanding working knowledge of branding, brand identity programs, and brand execution, including educating the organization on branding, branding best practices and the benefits of adopting a unified brand identity.
Deep experience in digital and print design, photography and videography, and motion graphics/animation, including visual storytelling through these approaches.
Persuasive and confident approach to creative projects while delivering effective leadership and exercising superior problem-solving, collaboration and decision-making skills.
Ability to work highly autonomously and make decisions based on sound judgment.
A desire to learn and embrace new media technology.
Strong experience and understanding of current visual communication concepts, strategy and best practices.
Deep understanding of customer intent, behavior and customer journeys, including how to develop and leverage brand personas.
Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.
Strong project- and time-management skills.
Adaptable problem-solver and team player who enjoys working in a fast-paced, high-volume environment and meets deadlines.
Excellent writing, editing, grammar and proofreading skills; clear and articulate communicator and strong presenter who can translate complex technical ideas easily.
Exceptional organizational skills, detail-oriented; strong ability to multitask and work on a cross-functional team.
Proficiency to build and lead high-performance, highly collaborative teams.
Ability to provide coaching and feedback to help develop employees for long-term career growth.
Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
Excellent working knowledge of creative software, including Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.
Working knowledge of web development preferred to support effective communication of vision and goals with web developers and other information technology professionals.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Frequent walking or standing, occasional climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment with use of computer and phone. Occasionally requires work during non-standard business hours. Requires occasional travel off campus.
Valid driver’s license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the University’s fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
AA/EEO Policy Statement: University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.