Primary Purpose: Reporting to the executive director of marketing and communications, the senior director of marketing and branding will be responsible for defining an optimal brand position and strategy for University of the Pacific, and developing, executing, managing and measuring its effective implementation across the institution.
In collaboration with the associate vice president of marketing communications and executive director of marketing communications, the senior director will be the chief brand champion for Pacific, responsible for building consensus behind effective execution of the brand's visual and voice expressions across the organization, and ensuring that long-term investments in marketing efforts are optimized to sustain the brand.
The senior director of marketing and branding will have direct experience in brand management, a deep understanding of brand development and execution, and the demonstrated ability to build consensus and momentum with diverse groups across the university.
The senior director of marketing and branding will also have demonstrated experience in development and execution of effective marketing and communications strategies in other industries than higher education and be able to apply those skills and talents to their portfolio of work.
Essential Functions: 1. Analyzes Pacifics brand in the market and develops a brand strategy and position that increases awareness and support of University of the Pacific, its schools and programs.
2. Operates with high level of autonomous decision making and knows how to effectively collaborate with senior leaders to seamlessly advance university with important constituencies.
3. Cultivates and manages relationships with leadership and marketing professionals in the schools and units to drive effective university brand and marketing strategies and plans that build enrollment, increase donor and alumni participation, retain students and employees, and expand external support.
4. Leads and directly supervises marketing director, whose direct reports include marketing professionals from the School of Computer Science and Engineering, College of the Pacific, the Career Resource Center, the Conservatory of Music, and University College.
5. Leads strategy to communicate with Pacifics key stakeholders and manages staff to develop cross-channel, integrated marketing plans that consider owned and paid media, earned media, social media, digital media and influencer marketing.
6. Partners with Enrollment Management and Graduate School leadership on the universitys marketing and branding to provide guidance and support to undergraduate and graduate recruitment and retention efforts.
7. Serves as a member of the Marketing and Communications leadership team and partners closely with fellow team members, including creative services, digital communications, internal communications and media relations, to build and execute integrated campaigns that are part of the long-term brand strategy.
8. Measures and reports on performance of all university branding and marketing campaigns; oversees staff in refining and updating plans. Oversees marketing budget and spend, and makes budget recommendations each fiscal year.
9. Monitors market trends and competitors to identify opportunities for Pacifics positioning; uses existing data and conducts research to complete annual SWOT analysis to inform Pacifics branding and marketing strategy.
10. In partnership with AVP marketing and communications and executive director, convenes and leads 3-City Integrated Marketing Committee monthly, planning annual agendas, speakers, and programs. Develops feedback loop to measure results.
11. Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelors degree in business, marketing or related field; 10-plus years of experience in strategic marketing, branding or related field. Deep understanding of and experience with defining an organizations optimal brand position and strategy, and developing, executing, managing and measuring its effective implementation. Excellent at fostering collaborative professional relationships and building consensus. Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound professional judgment. Demonstrated experience working in complex, matrixed organizations. Demonstrated ability to cultivate strong relationships with senior leaders, administrators, deans, faculty, staff and student leaders and others throughout and outside the university. Demonstrated ability and maturity to work with sensitive information and use discretion. Proven ability to develop and execute an integrated marketing strategy with metrics for success. Strong research and analytical skills to forecast and identify trends and challenges. Demonstrated experience managing a diverse staff and creative team in a high-volume, fast-paced environment. Strong ability to express ideas and concepts concisely to a broad range of audiences who possess varying degrees of understanding. Excellent customer service skills with focus on exceptional follow-through. Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively managing multiple priorities while maintaining adherence to deadlines and budgets. Demonstrated experience being resourceful, taking initiative, and being a committed team player with a goal-oriented attitude. Excellent writing, editing and presentation skills; clear and articulate communicator who can translate complex technical ideas easily. Computer proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite products. Positive attitude and proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion. Exceptional organizational skills, detail-oriented and strong ability to multi-task and work on a cross-functional team. Proficiency to build and manage high-performance, highly collaborative teams. Ability to provide mentorship, coaching and feedback in a constructive manner.
Preferred Qualifications: Advanced degree preferred. Experience in higher education, education, academic or non-profit setting highly desired. CRM experience very helpful.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires long periods of sitting and work at computer keyboard using repetitive hand and wrist action. Occasional walking, standing, and infrequent stooping, bending, kneeling and reaching above head. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment. Work performed during standard business hours, overtime expected to meet deadlines. Light travel may be necessary.
Valid drivers license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the Universitys fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
University of the Pacific is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.